Tuesday 22 March 2016

Tennis: Moore resigns as director after sexist comment

Raymood Moore, tournament director of the BNP Paribas Open has resigned following the controversy generated by his comment. He had said that female players should get "down every night on" their knees to thank some of their male counterparts. 

Moore stepped down as the CEO and tournament director of one of the most prestigious tournaments BNP Paribas Open, better known simply as Indian Wells, after making his comments on Sunday. 

"In my next life when I come back I want to be someone in the WTA, because they ride on the coattails of the men," he told reporters, referring to the organization that runs the women's game. 

"They don't make any decisions and they are lucky. They are very, very lucky. If I was a lady player, I'd go down every night on my knees and thank God that Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal were born, because they have carried this sport. They really have," he added. 

There has been widespread criticism of his comments and the backlash has since led to his departure from his position. 

No comments: