Friday 29 January 2016

Nemanja Vidic retires from football

Former Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic has officially announced his retirement from football after a series of injuries over the last few years.

The 34-year-old Serbian had his contract cancelled by Inter Milan after failing to play a key role in the side due to persistent injury setbacks.

He spent eight illustrious years at Manchester United between January 2006 and May 2014. He went on to win five Premier League titles, three League Cups, one Champions League and the Club World Cup before moving to Inter Milan on a free transfer. 

However, his time at Inter Milan was characterized by injuries and he was able to make only 28 appearances in an 18-month spell at the club. 

In a statement on the United website, he said: “The time has come for me to hang up my boots.

“The injuries I have had in the last few years have taken their toll.

“I would like to thank all the players I have played with, all the managers and staff I have worked with, and say a big ‘thank you’ to the fans for their support over the years.”

No comments: